British Photographic Exhbitions (BPE) exists to encourage photographers to enter exhibitions and recognizes successful entrants via the issue of the Crown Awards photographic distinctions. There are currently 18 Exhibitions which are part of the BPE circuit. I entered my first British Photographic Exhibition at the end of 2016 and was very pleased to get an image accepted on my first attempt. My first accepted image was “Sands of Time”. This was an image I had put together for a Club Set Subjects competition, the theme being Glass. I used my kitchen clock an hour glass ornament and an interesting sky taken at Cleveleys. This was my first successful composite image. I set myself a target of getting to BPE 1 Crown within a year, which needed 25 acceptances. I was really pleased to achieve this target with 13 images, which are shown below.
My journey to achieving BPE 2 Crowns. 50 acceptances, was a little quicker and I managed to reach this goal in March 2018. I did this with a further 10 successful images, which are shown below.
I have now achieved 100 acceptances to gain my BPE 3 Crowns. I am really pleased to have done this within my target of 2 years. I reached my goal by getting a further 13 images accepted, these are shown below. . The thing that has surprised me in this journey to date is that I am most successful with my composite images. I am really pleased to have had 2 Nature images accepted as the standard in this section is always very high.
During my second year of entering exhibitions a few of my images have received awards, these are:
- Across the Plains – Highly Commended in Solihull
- Mrs Magritte – Commended in Basingstoke and Certificate of Merit in Winchester
- Bunch of Sunflowers – Commended in Robin Hood
- Watchful – BPE Ribbon in SRGB
- Stormy Skies Over Castlerigg – Selector’s Award in Frome
I am now into my third year of entering exhibitions and have begun my journey towards BPE 4 Crowns, for this I need to achieve a total of 200 acceptances. Having just achieved a further 8 acceptances into Robin Hood my current tally is 155, with 11 further new images accepted (since BPE3), shown below. It took me two years to get 100 acceptances so I would love to get my second hundred in 18 months or less but that will be a tough challenge. I have achieved a few of awards so far this year as follows:
- Flower in a Bottle – Commended in Clay Cross
- Derwent Dawn – Commended in Basingstoke
- Helbore Triptych – Selector’s Award in Neath and District
- Dusky Warbler – Highly Commended in Neath and District
- Out of the Mist – Highly Commended in Rushden
- Keeping Watch – Commended in Robin Hood